Topic: Halloween Contest?

Hey all,
    I know this time of year many other online story sites start posting Halloween stories or having story contests and I was wondering if we wanted to do one as well?  If we can bang out the rules over the next few days, we could open it on the first of October and let it run until the 24th, to give everyone a week to vote for their favorites (with the deadline closing on the 31st).  We could also do prizes in the forms of art or story commissions.  I'd certainly be willing to throw in a short (~2k word) prize.  I'm sure many of the other forum writers/artists would be willing to help as well.
    Depending on how many people we get to commit to prizes, we could just do a simple 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc based on votes.  In descending order, the winners could get to pick their prize from the pool (which lets people pick their favorites instead of trying to arbitrarily decide which author/artist is more important than another).  If we get enough interest, we could try to split the contest.  Experienced writers (myself, Indigocarmine, Demon-man, etc) could complete with each other while new(ish) writers (ex. less than 3 published stories) could complete against each other.  That might get us some more participation from the newer writers, as they don't have to be intimidated by writing against the heavyweights.
    And finally for some more technical details.  To we want to leave it open to a general Halloween (or universe equivalent) theme, or try for something more specific (changing for a party, meeting a real life monster, etc)?  And do we want to set a word count, or leave it open?  I know I've let many a story get away from me length wise (I just finished up a 30k word doozy), and I don't know how difficult it would be for people to read all the stories so they can vote appropriately.  Also, would we want to let the submissions post as they come in, or do a dump on the 24th to give each story the same amount of "freshness"?
    So please post below and let me know if you're interested and have any suggestions/comments on what I outlined so far.

Redstar

Re: Halloween Contest?

I like that idea! Although I probably won't be able to contribute (i mean... i can try).

I'll happily offer to do a morph based on a the winning story or something else of the author's choosing as a prize.

I might could write something.

Transformation Fanatic.

I throw in a clean sketch as prize but won't be able to compete.

I'd suggest a rough target length, so that stories are better comparable.
Also I think they should be posted roughly at the same time. So somebody may want to collect and present them once its deadline.

Ugh. My schedule just went from so much free time to very limited. But if the max word length is low enough I'd be in to participating.

1) maybe cap it at 2000 words? With a minimum of 500-1000?

2) dumping all the stories on the same day seems more fun.

3) what are the themes? Requirements? Will it be LoB stories (and if so, Demon-Man, are there any Halloween like holidays?)

Yeah, i would suggest LoB-Stories - since this is the primary theme of this forum.

Bumping this a bit as there hasn't been any discussion for a few days.  In my opinion, 2k words is too short.  It's barely enough for a scene, let alone a story.  Most of the shorter stories on the site are between 2k and 4k, which would be the lowest I think we should set the range.  It sounds like several of you want to keep the theme in Belial, if so we'll need an official holiday name from Demon-man (Demon's eve, Lost souls day, etc).  Once we get that, we can work out more details on the story theme.  If there are those uncomfortable writing in the Belial universe (I know writing in another universe without a good handle on all the details can be intimidating), do we want to have a second category for Halloween transformation stories?  Something like living costumes, or permanently changes related to the holiday?  I don't want to spread us too thin, but I want to make the contest as open to new and returning writers as possible.  To get a better handle on numbers, do you think it's worthwhile to do a poll (ex. do you plan to participate in Belial category/Halloween category/both categories)?  If we throw out a few theme ideas, I could also gather them into a poll to vote on what people what to write about the most.  Hopefully these questions will rekindle the discussion so we can get this contest off the ground in time for everyone to get their stories in.  Also Flicker, as you're one of the chief admins would you be willing to hold the stories until post date?

Since Halloween's origin is not Christian and can easily aplied to a non-religous (only superstitous) background, it could even keep its name as a holiday. Otherwise I'd say Demon's Eve, a tradition to scare off demons and half-demons, as well as evil spirits and other beings born from superstition at the time. Over the centuries it then evolved into a holiday similar to modern Halloween.

I like Demon's Eve quite a bit, and the idea of warding off the demons is quite a unique concept in this particular universe since they aren't a thing of rumor, myth or superstition, they are known entities.

I have an idea to set the stage, for the "Holiday," your mileage may vary.

Demon's Eve in Assaiah has two fascets, a public one, and one that holds meaning to the few learned or lunatic enough to study demons and their habits.

The public understanding of "Demon's Eve" is, of course, flawed.  It is believed that like the real world's Samhain, and All Hallows Eve supernatural creatures such as fae, demons and worse walk masked among mortals to cause mischief, and havoc.  It is believed that Demons walked masked that night, driven by instinct to hide amongst mortals, masked and watching to cause mischief.  The masks of mortals induce caution amongst the demons, for how would one know if the person behind the mask is a mortal toy, or another demon who can fight back, or worse absorb them into themselves, and thereby become more powerful.  So in a sense, the mortals believe the masks protect them.

The reality is more interesting.  Demons DO hunt that night masked, driven by an unknown urge, but they aren't fooled by anything so mundane.  They can sense each other, but Demon's Eve is the night when an Avatar of Freya might pass shoulder to shoulder with an Avatar or half-demon of Karma... and they would ignore each other.  Each one is hunting for that special someone, that spark of creativity, malice or whatever it is that drives them represented in the costumes and masks of mortals.

Demon's Eve is the night most Half-Demons and even many Avatars trace their origins to.  Until they find that indefinable something, the demons slip through the mortal world, bestowing their gifts or torments at a more frantic pace until they find someone who fits.  the ones who don't find their mark leave a trail of changed lives in their wake almost by reflex.  The ones who do leave a newborn half-demon or avatar in their wake.  And the choice, seemingly random, never is.  It's always guided by the subconscious and instincts of the demon.

Even half-demons feel the urge on the night of Demon's Eve, though they aren't hunting for progeny, but indulging in the spread of their gifts around.  Demon's Eve marks the anniversary of their lives and power.  So long as they remain alive and not absorbed by a more powerful demon/half-demon, Demon's Eve is the night their Mana essence surges and they become more potent in their own right.  Some become very slightly more powerful, some surge greatly.  But even the weakest among them has a hard time holding back their instincts.

Demon's Eve is a night where anything can happen, seeming miracles or horrors.  A person with a frightening or sensual mask might remove it only to discover that their face matches the mask.  They might become the creature represented by their costume.  Or they might see some poor schlub transformed publically without a mask and everyone in costume unscathed.

I believe a feeling of "quiet chaos" would be an appropriate theme.  There is a lot happening, but most of Assaiah's mortals never see it.  Those that do...  Well, even in the Empire, a transformation marked on Demon's Eve is less frowned upon, and represents somewhat of a "Badge of honor" or "badge of courage" to the ones who might hear the story, especially if the story is a good one.

I like the idea of a Lost Souls' Eve, celebrating the idea of loved ones lost to transformations that went too far and left them as mindless beasts.  It's like a party, kinda Dia de Muertos style.  Or at least a somber holiday that was made more mainstream.

I really like LamiaWoman's idea but unsure why there would be a natural urge for demons to do so.

So I got a few ideas to add to the concept:
- Karma and Freya are not at war with each other but not friends either, same with their avatars. So what if the day was meant as a kind of truce or a celebration of kinship if not friendship. Could even have started as an invitation to look for humans worthy to become new demons together.
- Its the day when the flow of Mana all over Assiah surges. That's why demons feel so invigorated. It could also cause other unnatural phenomena which enforced the old superstition of spirits and ghosts.

I like the idea that there would be some variety in how different places would celebrate the day. Like, maybe it started as an avatar truce, so in places with a higher number of avatars the day is like Lamiawoman's where people impersonate and try to outsmart demons. (Which I love as an origin to the holiday, btw.) Maybe in a place with many transformations like, say, Jizza it's more of a celebration of those who've had identity death from transformation. I think my take would be the secularists version, a bunch of college students who get drunk and wear sexy costumes and hijinks ensue. This way there is more freedom for writers to play and maybe a bit more variety to the stories we get.

Demon-Man wrote:

I really like LamiaWoman's idea but unsure why there would be a natural urge for demons to do so.

So I got a few ideas to add to the concept:
- Karma and Freya are not at war with each other but not friends either, same with their avatars. So what if the day was meant as a kind of truce or a celebration of kinship if not friendship. Could even have started as an invitation to look for humans worthy to become new demons together.
- Its the day when the flow of Mana all over Assiah surges. That's why demons feel so invigorated. It could also cause other unnatural phenomena which enforced the old superstition of spirits and ghosts.

Honestly I would assume most of the friction between karma and freya would be between their avatars and potentially the occasional argument (bystanders should run now).  I figure most of the perceived hostility would be people mistaking the actions of avatars for attitudes of the great demons.

And the mana surge would be kinda what I had in mind when I suggested it.

Redstar00 wrote:

Also Flicker, as you're one of the chief admins would you be willing to hold the stories until post date?

Yeah I can do that, but I feel really posting during around the general time of Halloween is good enough. If an author wants to treat it competitively, they can just not read others' stories before posting.

If you  like I can do a story to "set the stage" as it were.  I'm big on writing for fun, never was much for competitive writing, so I'm more than happy to bow out of actual competition.

I have a few ideas that would just be fun.

I'm using it mostly as an excuse to write something: I don't care much for winning either. But getting people out to vote might help liven this place up a bit. So why not?

How's everyone's stories coming? I just polished off a draft of my entry.

....i have a thorough outline haha

I had trouble settling on an idea and finally knocked together an outline a day or so ago.  The day after I came up with a second.  I tried the one I thought was going to be shorter first.  As of now I'm halfway through and already at 3.5k words.  If we're serious about a word count I might need yet another outline.

On another note, do you think it's worthwhile putting up a poll to see how many people are going to participate?  They could vote up top for the number and reply to we know all the different authors.  Maybe a second poll for prizes, to see what's available?

I'm pretty sure I blew through the word limit myself.

Eh, word limits feel somewhat stifling.

Honestly, as long as everyone is having fun and using the Halloween theme to the best of their ability, I couldn't care less about word count and other restrictions.

Good to hear, as i just finished my first draft and the story clocks in at 7.5k words.  A bit longer than the last one I did of this type, and it might gain another 500 or so with editing.  I hope to crank out my other one in the next few days, to give me the chance to figure out which one I actually want to submit (unless you guys are willing to let me use both).  Hopefully the writing is going as well for everyone else.

How goes everyone's story-crafting?  I just finished my first round edits personally.  With the deadline just over a week away, do we want to get more formal with who's entering and who's giving prizes (a list of each at least?).

Am bumping into real life time constraints.  I am a "maybe"

part of my draft is done, but i'll get it done before the next two days are out

So it's finally the 24th (how time flies).  Do we want to post the stories today and set up the poll tomorrow after we see who has a story?  Or do we need to push it back to the 31st for posting and vote after that?

My two stories are finally up along with Indigocarmine's.  Hopefully we can get in a few more before the day is over.