1 (edited by Flicker 2014-01-15 06:55)

Topic: Problems & recommendations for the new forum

Please let us know if you encounter any problems or want to recommend something.

I'll start.

I'm having problems uploading avatars even when they are within size limits. - fixed

Add a button for headers, similar to the buttons used for bolding, italicizing, and underlining - done

Re: Problems & recommendations for the new forum

The problem with the headlines is fixed.

The size of the avatars remains a problem, though. It is saved in a 8-bit value. That means its maximum value is 255. The biggest possible avatar is therefore 255x255 pixels, no matter what you set in the preferences sad

that's not trivial to change.

Actually, 255 is the perfect size for height. I'm setting it to 180 width max.

perfect!

would you put other advise in the privates? it´s for advise that you have a private, sometimes i don´t see it, other colors in the "PM"?

\m/ MEEEEEETAAAAAAALLIIIIIICAAAAAA \m/

I've added a counter to the PM notification.

Didn't work as expected :-( now i've added a star if a new PM arrives.

I'llreplace that linked-in field with a torchat link. what do you think?

As long as it gets rid of the requirement, anything is fine.

nikita, I need the ability to bump topics.

Edit:
Also, where can I find themes? I'd like to make a dark theme the default since by the nature of this forum, most users will be using it at night, and will be easier on the eyes. The current midnight theme's text is too small/cramped for my liking and reduces readability.

I have a suggestion, why don´t you put an option to take off all the messages that you don´t read, like "mark as read"?

Darth_Lilith wrote:

I have a suggestion, why don´t you put an option to take off all the messages that you don´t read, like "mark as read"?

That won't be easy, and i don't see the point. Except if you are spammed with messages, you don't want to read. In that case, please tell one of the admins, we will stop that. You are talking about PM's aren't you?

No, nikita, i am not talking about PM´s . No problem with that.

But then there is already a button for that. Click on a forum and on the bottom is a button "Mark forum as read" ...

Is there anyway to incorporate any of these for Topic Descriptions?

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … scription/
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1951965

of course...

I think it's okay now that the forum can be found by Google and etc. as long as the old forum link cannot be found. Would that be possible?

The other option is to wait until I'm satisfied with transferring everything. Then you can delete the old forum and make this site searchable.

That's possible. i have to modify the robots.txt and wait for the next crawl (i think i can force it too). Maybe add some hidden keywords. But first i will add your proposed extension.

i've added the topic descriptions and allowed google to find the page.

Would it be possible to add tags to topic titles? Similar to how Reddit has those NSFW tags next to some topics. Like monstergirl, furry, futanari labels to help distinguish them. It would also be more professional looking compared to how I'm just putting furry in parentheses. I know there is that extension that enables tagging when making a topic but I don't think they show up in the topic and would only be useful for searching and not for browsin. I just got this idea that I wanted to put down before I go take a nap. I'll look for extensions later.

Found one: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ … refix_mod/

Please install as soon as you can.

unfortunately we don't use phpbb but punbb. that doesn't have that extension. but i can install something similar

Good to see the forum back. A suggestion of mine would be to create a "brainstorming" or "creative room" subforum, similar to the feedback section from the old story. A place to post ideas/concepts, unfinished stories or art.

I was thinking that people can post in the general forum for that. Both the general forum and that forum never saw that much action, sometimes being inactive for months at a time. I don't want to have to make any more forums than is necessary. I'll change the forum description, however.

Not sure if that is gonna work but we can give it a try.

The problem I see is that brainstorming/concepts and general discussions are very different in nature. Things might get confusing after some months when there are more threads again. Same with the Expanded Universe and Story categories. Not sure if they work together, as the Expanded Universe threads usually are more like short descriptions or encyclopedia entries.

I thought a little about it and i agree with demon-man that we should split "in progress and want feedback from the forum-members"-art from the rest. Something like a "Writers corner" for brainstorming, etc ... maybe we could move RP to this forum too, since i feel that it's not at the right place at the moment, since not all rp's are set in the lob-universe. otoh brainstorming/unfinished stories etc. can play in lob. Because of that i think we should create an own category. perhaps we could even add a sketch section (the server still behaves exceptionally well...)

But Flicker made a point. Too many forums aren't good either. Maybe we could join the Literature and Games&Art forums then?

One of the mistakes early on with the old forum was way too many forums that stayed empty. A sketch forum would be just as empty.

Speaking of empty, I decided against keeping the third section and nuked it.

Hmm, i guess nobody will miss it.

I wonder if the star beside the PM is enough for indicating that a new message has arived.

I've found it to be enough so far.